2015 is going to be a year of punching fear in the face. And this year, I mean it! Matthew Mcconaughey in his Oscar speech spoke about three things he needs everyday. One thing to look up to, one thing to look forward to and one thing to chase. Your thing to chase, should be you in ten years from now. We are and should always remain, a work in progress. This is my list of things to look up to, forward to and to chase for the next 365 days.
- Do a year project: I've been searching for a project that'll take a year to complete for some time now. The one that keeps coming back to me is a project Sean Aiken embarked on to figure out what his ideal job looks like. Might just shamelessly steal his idea for 2015.
- Have a theme per week: 27 Simple things to do should be good for the first halve of 2015.
- Find a mentor: There is a Buddhist proverb about when the student is ready the teacher will appear. Been searching for this mythical unicorn for some time now. Will 2015 be the year that the teacher will appear?
- Publish a book: What started out as a journal, turned into a blog. A book would be an awesome endeavour. Why? If it makes at least one persons journey easier, it will be worth the effort.
- Cross the finish line at 4Deserts Ecuador: Lewis Pugh has a interesting test he uses to see if he is committed to an idea or if it is just something that for a moment is stuck in his mind. He calls it his 4am rule. If he wakes at 4am and it's still something he is passionate about, it gets done. Completing a 4Deserts race has passed numerous 4am test. It will be done.
- Learn a new language: Not going to lie, but this was on my list last year for Portuguese and apart from a few basic words, I'm non the wiser when it comes to talking Portuguese. But have to abandon it for learning Spanish in the new year. Why the change? Because Ecuador is on the list and Spanish is their official language. So Spanish it is. Just as a side note, is it still relevant learning new languages considering we can translate text and speech in real time using nothing more than a smartphone app?
A new year offers us the chance to hit the reset button. You cannot step into a year filled with energy and hope, when it is so easy to get sucked into the negativity that the last 365 days had to offer. Learn from the mistakes that was made, but don't let it poison the clean slate you are starting with.
What is on your one list for 2015?